Indonesian Massages to Try in Jakarta
A relaxing activities while your visit to Jakarta
When in Jakarta, do as the Jakartans do, which includes being pampered with a massage. This is a great way to relax the mind and body, especially after a day of Jakarta traffic. Below are some local massage treatments to try.
More than your average foot massage, reflexology is the application of appropriate pressure to specific points and areas of the feet. Performed accurately, it is therapeutic, relaxing and good for blood circulation. However, if done incorrectly, it could cause health implications such as restricting the blood flow and, in order to avoid this, it is highly recommended that visits be made only to reputable spas. Also, reflexology should not be used as a substitute for medical treatment for specific illnesses.
Here is what you can expect during a typical thirty-to-sixty minute session:
1. You will be told to lie or sit down while remaining fully clothed but with feet bare.
2. The therapist may wash your feet and soak them in warm water.
3. He / she will begin with pemansan (warming-up) to loosen up the muscles.
4. Gentle thumb pressure will be applied on the 12 pressure points of each foot.
5. To close the session, your feet will be wrapped in a towel and massaged.
There are 12 pressure points on each foot, each affecting a certain part of the body. You may obtain further information from the therapists at Club Olympus Fitness & Wellness Centre.
Traditional Javanese Massage
This head-to-toe massage, which draws inspiration from century-old techniques, was developed on the island of Java. It involves smooth yet deep thumb pressure accompanied by stroking palm movements using an essential oil, usually frangipani.
A session usually lasts for between sixty and ninety minutes and you will be told to remove your clothing and lie face down. The therapist will start off by massaging for approximately seven to fifteen minutes to loosen up the muscles. After that, he / she will continue with a combination of effleurage, petrissage and acupressure until the end of the massage.
What are the various forms of this type of massage?
- Effleurage - Circular stroking massage movements made with the palm of the hand.
- Petrissage - Kneading and squeezing of the muscles in the body.
- Acupressure - Using the fingers to gradually pressure key healing points.
Treat yourself to a reflexology or traditional Javanese massage at Club Olympus Fitness & Wellness Centre. Open daily from 6:00am to 11:00pm, it is strongly recommended that reservations be made via +62 21 2992 1234 ext. 8-5500.
Aside from Indonesian massages, guests can also treat themselves to Indonesian spa treatments, such as the one below.
This traditional Javanese treatment is basically a body scrub and the benefits are the removal of dead skin cells in order to make the skin brighter, smoother and healthier. Traditionally, the ingredients for lulur usually consist of a blend of spices, but these days cocoa is often added. Each lulur has its own benefits depending on the ingredients, and you may learn more about this type of massage below.
- Javanese Herbal – A traditional blend of Javanese spices, usually mixed with primrose. This treatment helps cure itchy skin, pimples and body odour.
- Balinese Murut – This cream-like lulur is a mix of ginger, candlenut, lemongrass, rice powder and turmeric. It is a great remedy for dry skin, eliminating bacteria and warming the body.
- Cinnamon – A blend of cinnamon, rice powder, spices and chrysanthemum that prevents body odour, brightens the skin and leaves it feeling cool.
- Papaya Enzyme – Consists of papaya extract and powdered clam shells and is great for sensitive skin. It lightens, brightens and softens the skin.
- Cocoa – Mix of cocoa powder, coconut oil, walnut and shea butter. This cream-like lulur is excellent for dry and dull skin.
- Seaweed – Good for anti-ageing, softening and improving skin elasticity. You may want to ask for a small application first to find out if you are allergic to it.
- Sea Salt Minerals – Mixed with soybean oil and an essential oil, this mineral-rich scrub is great for softening and detoxification. But be wary, as excessive rubbing may damage the skin. If the skin is sensitive, make sure the therapist does not exert too much pressure.
A treatment usually lasts for 45 minutes and you will first be given a traditional house-brewed drink, then ushered to your room to change. After this, your feet will be soaked in warm water mixed with essential oil, sea salt and flower petals in order to keep them clean prior to the treatment. You will then be asked to lie face down and the lulur will be applied from the soles of the feet up to the neck. Finally, the treatment will end with a shower.
An interesting fact is that centuries ago in the palaces of central Java, the Javanese princesses indulged in this ancient beauty treatment in order to purify themselves.
Each spa has its own signature lulur; below are some of the Javanese spas closest to Grand Hyatt Jakarta.
Taman Sari Royal Heritage Spa
Address: Jl. K.H. Wahid Hasyim 133, Jakarta Pusat, Indonesia
Telephone: +62 21 314 3585 / 380 1433
Martha Tilaar Spa
Address: Jl. K.H. Wahid Hasyim No. 19-21, Jakarta Pusat, Indonesia
Telephone: +62 21 3192 6112